January 2024 Newsletter part two
Waterlooville Men's Shed
7. I received a lovely project from Edwin Smedley just before Christmas. He has been working on a walking staff. A testament to how wood can be turned in to such works of art. Have many happy years of walking Edwin. The staff will certainly turn heads as you walk by.
8. Haydn our treasurer is working hard to balance our finances and we now have approval for Gift Aid on our memberships. There are some members we hope will be able to sign their Gift Aid forms soon. It’s important that the shed try and generate funds as every little helps due to the ever-increasing utility bills and annual insurance. So, you can see that we are keen to generate as much income for the shed through gift aid donations as possible. Once you have signed these forms going forward he won’t need to ask you again he will be able to make a claim of gift aid when you renew your membership or make any donation. If you are finding it difficult to come to the shed then if you contact Haydn, the treasurer (07588 041292), then it may be possible for him to visit you at home and for you to sign the forms. Those who we hope are able to sign will be emailed privately later.
February diary of events dates:-
WMS Working parties am/pm 2nd /3rd Jan 2024
(WMS Closed except for working parties)
WMS 2024 reopening date 0930 Thursday 4th Jan 2024
WMS Committee Meeting 1030 Friday 5th Jan 2024
WMS Monthly BBQ 1200 Friday 5th Jan 2024
January Newsletter Quiz
1. Which five colours make up the Olympic rings?
2. What nut is in the centre of a Ferrero Rocher?
3. Apart from Waterlooville Men’s Shed, where is known as ‘the happiest place on Earth?
4. What does IPA stand for?
5. What does Hakuna Matata mean?
6. To a single decimal point, how many kilometres in a mile?
7. What flavour chocolate would you find in a green triangle in a box of Quality Streets?
8. Where in the world would you find the Spanish steps?
9. In which two countries can you not buy Coca Cola
10. Which London underground line has the most stations?
December Newsletter Quiz Answers
1. How many ghosts show up in A Christmas Carol?
A. Four — the spirits of Christmas Past, Present, Future, and Jacob Marley
2. What Hollywood actor played six different roles in The Polar Express?
A. Tom Hanks
3. Where did the tradition of Christmas stockings come from?
A. According to tradition, the original Saint Nicholas put gold coins in the stockings of three poor sisters
4. Where does the royal family traditionally celebrate Christmas?
5. How many times does the number 1 appear on an advent calendar with 24 doors?
A. 13 times
6. What is the most recorded Christmas song in history?
A. Silent Night
7. Stollen is a famous cake from which country?
8. Which artist had the most Christmas number 1 singles?
A. The Beatles
9. Where does the name Boxing Day come from?
A. Boxing Day was a traditional day off for servants in which they received a 'Christmas Box' from their master.
10. Who invented the Christmas cracker?
A. London-based confectioner and baker Tom Smith
And finally:- I’ll leave you with this mull over. We are often invited to put in our two penneth worth in one breath then in the next breath we’re also asked “A penny for your thoughts” Why are they different! Answers on a postcard.
Till next months Newsletter. Try and stick to your New Years resolution till at least the end of the month!
Dave (Sec WMS)
Find Waterlooville Men's Shed
Padnell Road, Cowplain, Waterlooville, Hampshire, PO8 8EH
Turn into the road to Padnel Junior School. It is the white building on the left, just before the grass.